If you have been following this blog, you will have noticed that I am a strong advocate of reading books. In 2011 I read 28 books, one less than 2010. Here is my list of the top ten books I read in 2011.
10. Kindred by Octavia E. Butler (novel)
9. White Oleander by Janet Fitch (novel)
8. 72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell (novel)
7. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson (novel)
6. The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell (novel)
5. Imperial Woman: The Story of the Last Empress of China by Pearl Buck (historical novel)
4. Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth by Hilary Spurling (biography)
3. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck (novel)
2. Cheever: A Life by Blake Bailey (biography)
1. Stories of John Cheever by John Cheever (short stories)
To see the remainder of the books I read in 2011 go to goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2103162-harley?shelf=read-2011
Monday, January 2, 2012
1878 - 1962
We all have been given talents. Some waste their talents with drugs, booze and other addictions. Others fail to live up to their potential, living a day dream of what could have been. Some achieve early success only to become caught up in the glamour and the image, never to create again or achieve lasting success. You know what talents you have been given. Are you encouraging your talents and investing in your success? Are you working hard to achieve your dreams? Or are you resting on your laurels? The choice is yours. Will you choose to become what you are meant to be?